Salient Research LLC provides rigorous digital learning research in K-12 and higher education. Founder Sara B. Frank (Bristow) and associates explore the intersections between education and technology, both in the classroom and on the move. Specialties include blended learning, virtual K-12, online higher education, Open Educational Resources (OER) and the use of wikis as educational tools.
Salient is based in Chicago, although research has an international focus. Recent academic projects include:
- Adult Education and Open Educational Resources (for European Parliament), Sero Consulting (2015)
- Cross-border Content: Investigation into sharing curricula and OER across borders and (for IPTS, European Commission), Sero Consulting (2015)
- An International Study in Competency Education: Postcards from Abroad, CompetencyWorks/iNACOL issue brief (Oct 2014)
- Keeping Pace with K-12 Online Learning (#KPK12), An Annual Review of Policy & Practice, Evergreen Education Group (Oct 2014)
- Communicate OER, Collaborating to improve Wikipedia articles about openness in education (2012-2014)
Clients, collaborators and funders include public and private sector organizations in the US, Canada, China and the UK. These include The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL), CompetencyWorks, the OER Research Hub of The Open University, Evergreen Education Group, Wiki Strategies, Sero Consulting, Admissionado, China Gravy, The University of Mississippi, and KMDI, University of Toronto.