Salient Research LLC provides rigorous digital learning research in K-12 and higher education. Founder Sara Frank Bristow and associates explore the many intersections between education and technology, both in the classroom and on the move. Specialties include blended learning, virtual K-12, online higher education, Open Educational Resources (OER) and the use of wikis as educational tools.
Salient is based in Chicago, although research has an international focus. Recent projects include:
- SharedOER (for IPTS, European Commission): Common Core State Standards and OER in US K-12, Sero Consulting (forthcoming, 2015)
- An International Study in Competency Education: Postcards from Abroad, CompetencyWorks/iNACOL issue brief (Oct 2014)
- Keeping Pace with K-12 Online Learning (#KPK12), An Annual Review of Policy & Practice, Evergreen Education Group (Oct 2014)
- OER Exchange (beta), Classified ads for open education (launched Oct 2013)
- Communicate OER, Collaborating to improve Wikipedia articles about openness in education (2012-2014)
Clients, collaborators and funders include public and private sector organizations in the US, Canada and the UK. These include The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL), CompetencyWorks, the OER Research Hub of The Open University, Evergreen Education Group, Wiki Strategies, Sero Consulting, The University of Mississippi, and KMDI, University of Toronto.